Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving...but dont let that put u off!!

Today being the USA's Thanksgiving, I've decided to be oh-so original and write something thanking someone.

We all have peoplewe have to, or just want to thank-friends, family etc-but they'll eventually get their due. I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of us have thanked someone in our lives and really meant it, I knw I have. But whom i really want to thank (and it's been on my mind since yesterday) is someone who i have never met, and never will. Someone who has done something for me, and has no idea that he or she did. Yes, i don't even know if it's a he or a she, young or old or.... But still, I feel that my someone hasn't been properly thanked, so I'm doing it now. I feel it unimportant that my someone probably had no idea that he/she was doing something for me, it's the principle of the thing.

This is for that goat whose spinal cord we examined yesterday. Armed with a needle and forceps, teasing the cord from a mass of tissue made me feel surprisingly small. I mean, there i was with all the abilities and amenities i need, when somewhere a living creature was dead so we could casually play scientist with its central nervous system. I deplored our entire bio class just then. Who were we to do nothing more challenging and worthwhile with the cord than spread it on a slide? Didnt that goat deserve something better to be done with one of its vital organs? Not only did we domesticate it, remove all its freedom and effectively its right to life, but we insult it by........eugh, i cant even say it again.

so to that goat with its own life, given up for 5 marks and god knows what else- Thank You.

PS- this may come across as tres OTT and ranting for the sake of, but the emotion i felt for that goat was so sincere- you will experience/have experienced it, think 'if'?.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

tht people we dont thank r the 1s we take fr granted,our paresnts,frds.....often we dont realise it,we think f it as their duty to help us!
like the goat they r prepared fr anything and we never take a moment to appreciate thm and all we do is use thm!!

Anonymous said...

so this is fr thm!!
cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Lem, u say that it sickened you to examine that goat's spinal cord, and by killing it, uve taken away its right to live, etc. And you just realised while you were teasing it on the slide. What ever happened during the innumerable times you've eaten any animal? isnt it the same thing? u've still killed the animal, and taken away its right to live, but rather than examining it, your eating it.

want to become a vegetarian now?

(i think not. =P)

ps - no, im not trying to convert you, being a non veggie myself, im just pointing out a fact.
pps - arent u glad that theyve made dissectioning animals illegal?

Lemi said...

im eating it coz i need to live. those animals, espesh battery chickens are reared for this purpose, their lives are squalid and worthless. besides, eating them is good for me, whereas i learned zilch from that slide, and the fact tht neogi said we CANNOT get a proper slide since its tres difficile adds to my argument!

Anonymous said...

suddenly biology doesn`t look too pleasing. i can live with economics!
but hey about the goat, poor thing! it deserved more than ending up on the slides of a bunch of high school students during an examination!

this is to all those i have forgotten to thank, have taken for granted, will forget to thank and will take for granted - thanks loads!

Anonymous said...

Goat's are made to be killed